It is common practice in the idol industry for artists to use stage names. However, offstage, they are often referred to by their real names. Likewise, in the film and television industry as well, actors use stage names, but they may not be as conspicuous as in the case of idols.
To be more precise, the Korean actors’ stage names seem pretty much like their real names. So why don’t they just use their real names? While there can be many reasons for this, one common reason is the advice of fortune tellers. Divination is an ancient art that is still popular in South Korea today. The vast majority of Koreans consult fortune tellers before making major decisions in their life, and many times these fortune tellers even suggest that their clients (both celebrities and non-celebrities) change their names to attract more success and luck.
At the same time, many artists also change their names to better suit their image. This may or may not have anything to do with fortune tellers but is usually suggested by their management companies or the celebrities themselves.
Furthermore, some celebrities also change their names to avoid confusion with other celebrities or if their own name is too difficult to pronounce or remember. In addition, they can also choose to use a stage name to protect their privacy and their families. However, it’s not unlikely that celebrities choose their stage names on a whim or have their own reasoning behind it.
Now, another important thing to note here is that many celebrities who use stage names do not change their legal names, but there are many cases where they change their legal names to their stage names. There are also some celebrities who have a stage name that is different from their legal name, which is also different from the name they were given at birth.
With that said, here are 15 highly successful Korean actors and actresses who use stage names instead of their real names in their careers!
Note: This list is not a ranking and is not exhaustive.
1. Stage: Park SeoJun – Born Park YongKyu
2. Stage: Gong Yoo – Born Gong JiCheol
3. Stage: Son YeJin – Son Born EonJin
4. Stage: Yoo Teo – Born Kim ChiHun
5. Wi HaJun Stage – Born Wi HyunYi
6. Stage: Song JiHyo – Born Cheon SeongIm, Current Legal Name: Cheon SooYeon
8. Stage: Sung Hoon – Born Bang InGyu
9. Stage: Oh Yeon Seo – Born Oh HaetNim
10. Stage: RoWoon (SF9) – Born Kim SeokWoo
11. Stage: Hyun Bin – Born Kim TaePyung
12. Stage: Seo KangJoon – Born Lee Seung Hwan
13. Stage: Ha JiWon – Born Jeon HaeRim
14. Stage: Kim WooBin – Born Kim HyunJoong
15. Stage: Shin MinA – Born Yang MinA
Which of these royal names surprised you the most? Tell us in the comments section below!